Monday, February 9, 2009

Building Blocks


Below I copied some advice for building muscle from some websites that I agree with and the things listed below are the basics of what I have been doing everyday to help my performance. I always make sure I have a good amount of protein in me at least 30 minutes before a work out and I always take equal amounts of protein and carbs and 16 oz of water within 30 minutes of completing a work out. Everyone is different and need different things but this is what has been working for me the past couple months and I am sticking to it for now.......

***You can only build muscle if your body is in the correct anabolic balance to allow growth to take place. Intensive exercise is clearly an important part of the muscle building process but achieving the maximum muscle mass depends on putting the building blocks in place. This is achieved through sound nutritional practices so you need to be aware of the following anabolic enhancing principles

Protein is the basic raw material needed to build muscle. Protein supplies the amino acids that the body uses to repair and build muscle following intensive exercise. Aim to consume 1 to 1.5 grams of protein per pound of body weight each day from food like beef, fish, poultry, eggs, milk and whey. Spread the load over at least six meals to derive the optimum benefit and avoid overloading the liver.

Carbohydrates are needed to energize the muscle building process. Carbohydrates stimulate the release of insulin which pushes the amino acids into muscle cells to begin the process of repair. The body uses carbohydrates as a source of energy - consume too little and the body will steal protein that would otherwise be used for repairing and building muscle. Aim to consume 1.5 to 2 grams of carbohydrate per pound of body weight each day from foods like brown rice, vegetables and whole wheat bread.

Get plenty of rest both in terms of adequate rest days between training sessions and sufficient sleep. Your muscles won't grow if you don't build adequate recovery time into your training program. Similarly, you can only optimize your body's levels of testosterone and growth hormone if you spend enough time sleeping.

Consume quality supplements to support a sound nutritious diet. For most people it should be enough to add protein and l-glutamine to your daily diet.

Drink plenty of water. Failure to drink sufficient quantities of water will lead to dehydration and adversely affect your muscle mass. Don't forget that muscle is 70% water so a generous intake will maintain muscle volume and help growth.***

We had a great work out today. I think sometimes these short WOD's kick my butt more then some of the longer ones because I am able to go all out. This was a fun one!

Workout:

Strength - Deadlifts....we were working up to our 1 rep max today. I am nursing a tight groin muscle so I was pretty nervous to go heavy. I got to 205.

WOD
30/24/20/16/12/8/4/2

ball slam - 20 lbs
Kettle bell snatch 16k

Time 8:47

Food:

6 am - Oatmeal, flax oil, glutamine, protein
9 am - protein, glutamine, water
1pm - chicken gyro
3pm - protein, glutamin, water
6pm - 8 oz tuna steak, 2 cups of steamed veggies
9m - Protein, water

1 Comment:

  1. seant said...
    Great post Aaron. i forget about the rest and water way too often. its good for me to be reminded. thanks :)

Post a Comment