Saturday, March 21, 2009

Goals needed

Ok folks after completing my goal of lifting double my body weight I am in need of my next goal.  I have some small goals I have been working on that are more long term, but I want something I can achieve in the next month or two to keep pushing along.  So here is my dilemma....I am thinking I don't necessarily want it to be a "strength" style goal because I tend to go a little nuts and could end up injuring myself.  I am thinking or something that might be more endurance/strength.  Here is where I struggle the most....


Running  (Right now I have no wish to do any distance running.) Going twice around the building at a time is about all I want to run right now.  But I would like to get faster in my sprints.

Core.  My abs are still pretty weak and on things like the power wheel and atomic push ups, my back begins to sag causing some pain.

My grip.  Doing things like 10 minute snatch drills, long kettle-bell circuits, rope climb....I seem to lose my grip and my forearms feel like they are on fire.  

Legs - I am getting stronger, but those leg circuits kick my ass.  

So those are just some areas I want to improve....but I still need a goal to shoot for.  Any ideas?

Work out:

Skill:
5 windmills each arm 25 lb.
5 get up sit ups each arm 25 lb.
5-8 pull ups. ( I did not do these...I got some strange pain in my arm today)

WOD:  
Partner work out

8 laps around the building
8 mini leg circuits
8 bear crawls
8 250 meter rows
Time 24:51

Thanks to John B.  He was an awesome partner today and really kept me moving.  Also, thanks to Jami C.  It was sooo hard to keep up with you on the run today.  Thanks for the push!

Food:

7 am oatmeal/flax/glut/protein/almond butter
9am trail mix
noon 1 can of tuna/1 tortilla/feta cheese
3pm - 4 pm 1 small jamba juice, a few crackers
6pm - whole wheat couscous, salmon, asparagus


8 Comments:

  1. Courtney said...
    I say enter in a race (running 5-8K) It's under 5 miles so it's by no means a "serious" distance. Plus the cardio is sure to burn fat which could keep you from seeing the results of all of those core grind workouts.

    Just a thought.
    Go2Girl said...
    If you like Courtney's idea of a race, look at the Run for the Cheetah at the Oregon Zoo at the end of April. My family and I will be there, as a walkers, in the 5k. http://www.runforthecheetah.org/portland/index.ht

    Eva
    Nurse Tiff said...
    time yourself now to see how long it takes you to do 3 leg circuits in a row...then try and improve on that.
    Christina said...
    I vote for running. I hear Seattle has a half-marathon in June ... ;)
    John said...
    This comment has been removed by the author.
    John said...
    1) If it was me and it was an ugly lift I would do it again but with better form. Even if it meant waiting awhile before I try again.

    2) If you're more into xfit then using it as a way to train for a sport then consider these: http://www.crossfitseattle.com/athletic_skill.html

    Start with level 1. When you can do everything within a month of each other move on to level 2.
    Aaron said...
    Thank you everyone. I like that list John. I looked at level 1 and can already do everything on there. I am going to start on level 2 and use that as a benchmark where my fitness level is at.
    Tiff, I am going to try the 3 leg circuit thing too. I am curious to see how long that takes me.
    John said...
    Most people I know can complete the level 1 after a few months of xfit... I've known a few people who did the entire list as a workout... it took them some where between 1 and 2 hours. That might be a good challenge for you... everything in one session (but you choose the order)

    It's worth mentioning as it isnt apparent on that list that many of those have unwritten rules on what counts and what doesnt. Case in point: on the level 2 list the 45 thrusters @ 1/2 BW... you have to do all 45 without setting the bar down...! Yes you can stand there and rest but no reracking the bar!

    So yeah: I'd recommend talking to Nathan or myself about the list... some of those are very specific on what does and doesnt count.

    Lastly Petranek Fitness (great website worth visiting often BTW), Portland Xfit and a few other gyms have much more in depth "lists" that are all based on Xfit SEA's but have additional items.

    But I still think your next goal should be specific to your sport. And if you don’t have one your goal should be “try a new sport”. Xfitting just to be good @ xfit is a dead end.

Post a Comment