Thursday, January 1, 2009

Happy New Year / Recipes

I was watching the video that Tina created of Recreate Fitness and 2008 that she posted to the blog today and it just amazes me how far they have come in basically one year. Since I have only been coming for a little over 2 months it was great to see some of the transformations that people have made from when the started till now. Thank you to Nathan, Tina, Melissa and all the other trainers for the great work outs in 2008 all of you are truly inspirational. I can't wait to see the changes that are in store for me in 2009.

What a way to start off the new year with a great work out. We did the 20/10 work out which is very hard but I really like the format. I am usually absolutely spent by the end of this type of work out and today was no different. My forearms, biceps and shoulders were toast by the end....it was all I could do to just keep a grip on the rings for ring rows. As a matter of fact as I am sitting here typing this I am watching my shoulder have muscle spasms. hahaha

Recipe idea

So I had this idea and I don't know how or if I will keep it up, but I wanted to pass along quick and easy dinner ideas that we eat here at home. I am all about easy and cheap cooking. A lot of what I make at home I kind of just toss things together and most of the time they turn out pretty good and pretty healthy. If any of you have recipes to share, I encourage you to post them on your blogs or pass them on to me, I am always looking for new food ideas at home. So I am going to start this off by posting a meal that I ate a lot of while losing weight.

Main ingredient Shopping List: (serves 2)
Frozen or fresh shrimp ( I use frozen shrimp from Costco )
Frozen or fresh veggies (I use frozen mixed veggies )
Frozen steamer packs of brown rice

What I do is cook my shrimp on a George Foreman grill, if you don't have one you can just add a little bit of olive oil to a fry pan and cook for about 4 minutes on medium heat each side or until pink. Cook 16, that will be 8 for each person which equals 4oz of shrimp for each person. (Also, if you don't like shrimp, use chicken.)

We steam our veggies but you can buy some good frozen steamer veggie packs now that you can just throw in the microwave. You want to end up with about 2 - 3 cups of veggies to split.

Same with the brown rice, just throw it in the microwave it comes out great.

When the shrimp and veggies are done and hot, put them in a mixing bowl and add 2 teaspoons of Curry powder and 1 teaspoon of black pepper and mix it all together like you are tossing a salad. Then put a cup of rice on each plate and split up the mix. I like mine over the rice. Well that's it. As you can see everything is basically just heating up the food and serving it. From start to finish it takes about 10 to 15 minutes to make. This meal gives you a good balance of protein, starch, and vegetables and is low in Sodium. Let me know what you think.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment